Recipe: Chickpea salad with chicken (2p)
Chickpeas are my favourite type of beans, delicious and nutritious on their own, but also very versatile as they pair well with other ingredients and can be made into a variety of different textures. Like something smooth and creamy? Add some tahini (sesame paste), lemon and olive oil and blitz to humus! In for something crispy? Add spices and roast them in your oven for a healthy snack.
But this time we’re going to make them into a hearty dinner.
Ingredients for 2 persons
- 400 grams chickpeas, rinsed
- 200 grams chicken thigh meat
- Small bunch of spring onions
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small courgette
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon Za’atar (spice blend of wild thyme and sesame seeds, available at Zamzam market in Wageningen; if unavailable use a mixture of 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and a pinch of oregano and black pepper)
How to make the dish
- Mix the spices and a pinch of salt with the chicken thigh meat.
- Cut the red pepper into squares and the courgette into thick half moons (about 4 mm). Slice the spring onions very thinly.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in frying pan. Once the pan is hot, add the red pepper and hear it sizzle! After 3-4 minutes add the courgette and continue frying until the courgette is just cooked through. Add the spring onion and cook for 1 more minute. Add the chickpeas, lemon zest and lemon juice and warm through.
- Heat another pan over high heat and add teaspoon of oil. Add the chicken thigh meat and leave to brown before turning the meat over. Remember that colour is flavour! The more you stir, the harder it is to get some nicely browned chicken meat. Sometimes being lazy is a good thing 😉
Macros (per person)
Energy 570 kcal
Total fats 23 grams
Total carbs 42 grams
Fiber 16,5 grams
Proteins 39 grams