Monday Music: Maikel Starreveld
Monday is all about Music. This week Maikel Starreveld will tell you all about his favourite music during trainings. Want to star in this category yourself? Send us a message!
My guide for your ultimate music experience in the gym
Sometimes, like Eminem once said..
“’Cause sometimes you just feel tired, feel weak,
and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up”.
But you’re a Beast, and you’re in the gym, so you just can’t give up!
So “you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
And just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up”
Music might help you do just that. You’ll put on your headphones, when you’re in the locker room. You’ll put on whatever music makes you feel badass, or focused, you’ll chuck whole cup of pre-workout (the grossest tasting you can buy) like you’re Chuck Norris, you’ll bang your chest and you will kill your workout.
“Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out
Till my legs give out, can’t shut my mouth.
Till the smoke clears out. Am I high? Perhaps
I’ma rip this shit till my bones collapse.”
Music can increase your pain barrier, it can make you focus and give you energy. But please listen to it right. If you listen to good music using a shitty sound system, you’re a sinner. I personally don’t like to wear over-ear headphones (cuzz dey hot AF), but got myself a pair of SURE SE215 artist monitor earplugs. They cost around a 100 euro’s but they are indestructible (no guarantees given) and sound great. They cancel the noise around you so you won’t hear anyone asking ‘when you’re done using the bench press?’ or ‘can we team up on the squat rack?’. I use an old iPod nano, the square one with the touch screen which you can clip onto your clothing. I don’t like using my phone because I don’t want to bring it with me into the gym! And the music I listen to.. too much to tell you, but I’ll list some of my favorites below. If you want them, you can always ask me, I’ll send them (I’m a pirate, aargh!). By the way, this list differs almost daily. It’s just for some inspiration!
1. Till I Collapse – Eminem (RAP) (Rap stands for Rhythm and Poetry, good to know)
2. DJ Turn it up – Yellowclaw (TRAP) (Probably stands for Teringherrie, Rhythm and Poetry)
3. Pistol Grip Pump – Rage Against the Machine (NU metal kind of thing)
4. Rock & Roll Revolution – Saliva (Some hardrock guitarshit)
5. Steam – Scrufizzer ((t)Rap)
6. Analogue Players in a Digital World – Showtek (Golden oldie Hardstyle)
7. So you’re afraid – Tremonti (Hardrock)
8. My Generation – Limp Bizkit (Nu Metal)
9. Apex – Foreign Beggars (No idea, but it’s cool!)
10. Korean Jesus – Dumbfoundead (RAP)
(11. For advanced listeners, who like the harder styles of guitar music (post-hardcore in this case), Alive in the lights – Memphis May Fire)
– Maikel Starreveld