Recipe: Lentils, Eggs, Baecon, Duxelles
Ever got tired of pasta, bread, potatoes and rice? Why not have some lentils for a change! Higher in proteins and lower in carbohydrates than these staples, lentils can offer some well-needed and healthy variation to your diet! And we haven’t even talked about the micronutrients yet 😉
Lentils are also cheap and do not require lengthy pre-soaking like other beans, so this dish can come together at the last moment.
Ingredients for 4 persons
- 250 gram of dried green lentils
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 150 grams slab of bacon (we recommend the ‘rookspek stukje’ from ‘Zandvliet’ brand)
- 500 grams of button mushrooms
- 50 grams of cream
- 8 eggs
- Some lettuce (e.g. rocket)
How to make the dish
- Cover the green lentils with cold water, cover with a lid and rapidly bring to a boil. Drain in a sieve to remove any dirt (sand) that might have been present on the lentils.
- Cover the lentils with twice their volume of water, crush the garlic clove with your fist (I know that you want to show of your beastly strength to your friends, but there’s no need to smash the garlic to pieces!) and add to the lentils along with the bay leaves. Simmer very gently for 10-15 minutes or until done. Drain in a sieve and remove the bay leaves and garlic.
- Gently boil your eggs for 10-12 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water to stop the cooking, then peel. Alternatively, if you want to get fancy, crack the eggs into a small bowl and add to a pan of barely simmering and poach gently for 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Cut the bacon into small cubes and add to a frying pan. Let the fat melt out of the bacon and stir once in a while. Your goal is to get really crispy bits of bacon!
- Cut the mushrooms into thin slices, then lay these out on your cutting board and chop them up real good by placing one hand on top of the blade of your chef’s knife and moving the knife up and down as fast as you can.
- Once the bacon is really crispy, remove from the pan, but leave the rendered bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan with bacon fat and turn the heat to high. The mushrooms will release a lot of water and become more intense in flavour. Once they have shrunken down and stopped releasing water, add the cream to the pan and turn of the heat.
- To serve, mix the lentils with some salad leaves and divide over 4 plates. Top with a few spoons of the mushroom mixture and 2 eggs. Finally, divide the crispy bacon pieces over the plates.
- Dig in!
Macros (per person)
Energy 542 kcal
Total fats 24 grams
Total carbs 25 grams
Fiber 1.3 grams
Proteins 38 grams