Recipe: Pasta Carbonara
By Jasmijn de Gijt
My ultimate comfort food, ready in 20 minutes and it contains bacon, eggs and cheese – sounds good right?!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 400 g spaghetti (preferably made with eggs)
- 150 g slab of bacon
- Parmezan cheese (or mature Gouda cheese)
- 8 egg yolks
- Mushrooms of your choice
- 3 spring onions
- Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Grate a good amount of cheese
- Cut the bacon into small dice (approximately 1 cm cubes) and fry in a big pan over low heat until most of the fat has been released and the bacon is nice and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the fat behind.
- Cut the mushrooms into evenly sized pieces (approximately 2-3 cm) and cook over medium high heat in the bacon fat.
- Chop the spring onions into fine slices. Add to the mushrooms when these start to release their juices and are nice and tender. Cook for 30 seconds more and then turn of the heat.
- By now your pasta should be ready. Drain it, but save 1 cup of the cooking water. Add this water to your vegetables, along with the egg yolks and the cooked pasta.
- Cook on LOW heat until the sauce begins to thicken. Add most of the grated cheese, divide over 4 plates and sprinkle with more cheese and the reserved crispy bacon.