Category Archives: Muscle health / posture
By Jasper Remmerswaal
Terminology for reading this article:
- Postural deviations: a posture that is abnormally different from a healthy posture.
- Kyphosis: A backward curve of the spine
- Thoracic spine: The part of the spine that runs along the height of the thorax. Basically the part of the spine that is connected to the ribs.
- Osteoporosis: A disease in which the density of bones decrease, meaning they get more and more brittle over time.
- Back extensor muscles: Muscle involved in extending the back (think: hollow back).
- Postural muscles: Muscles influencing the posture.
- Isometric: A contraction of the muscle with no change in length of the muscle (often stabilizing, example: lower back in a deadlift).
- Shoulder retracting: Pulling the shoulders back (shoulders blades towards each other).
When reading this article, notice the stuff written in the brackets. These are the more thorough explanations of the subjects discussed. If you do not understand the explanation between brackets, try to read the text without them. It does not matter if you skip these parts. Read the rest of this entry